In 1872, Mount Laurel, then known as lower Evesham, was separated from Evesham
Township and incorporated with all the powers and privileges of a Township.
At the first meeting of the Township Committee, it was decided that business
would be conducted once a year with impromptu meetings to settle immediate
matters. The Committee also hired two doctors, who were to provide medical,
obstetrical and surgical services to the poor for an annual fee of $25.
The new Township then, as now, was bounded by Camden County on the southwest; Chester (Moorestown) on the northwest; Medford, Lumberton and Hainesport on the east and on the north by Westampton and Willingboro. To the south is its parent, Evesham.
Area residents could easily avail themselves of one of several modes of transportation to Philadelphia. Indeed many heads of households commuted daily. For the trolley to Camden, the fare was $.10 one way; trolleys ran every half hour until 9:30 PM and then every hour. The ferry fare from Camden to Philadelphia was $.03.
During the depression years, middle-class families from Philadelphia used the community as a weekend resort and the name Springville was adopted. Although some land was purchased for use as a day camp, most of the homes were rented to servicemen during World War II. Today few of the original families remain and most of the homes have been rented to others.
The Police Department began in 1938 with a budget of about $1,000 and three "special" officers, one of whom was always on call. In those days men used their own autos for duty. Today's Police Department consists of 46 sworn officers and 24 non-sworn personnel.