Early in the 17th. century, an area called "Horseneck" (now known as West Essex) was part of Newark. In 1798, "Horseneck" separated from Newark and became the "Township of Caldwell" consisting of what is now the Caldwells, Fairfield, Verona and Cedar Grove. By the mid-nineteenth century, this area became known as Vernon Valley. However, when application was made for a United States Post Office, the townspeople were informed that another Vernon Valley, in Sussex County, had first claim to the name. The name Verona was put forth by the townspeople as a suitable replacement and was eventually accepted.
At various times between 1798 and 1892, issues arose which caused dissatisfaction between the Caldwell and Verona areas. These included a desire of the citizens of Verona to more closely control their own governmental affairs; with the population growing, Verona needed to centrally locate essential services such as schools and places of worship; problems with the water supply; and the disposition of road repair funds. And so, in 1892, the citizens of Verona and Cedar Grove voted to secede from Caldwell Township. Further growth and the need for a water system and other public utilities found Verona moving ahead of its neighbor and in 1902 the two towns decided to separate. It took two sessions of the state legislature to approve the new borough, but on May 13, 1907, the borough of Verona was incorporated.
As with the nation, The Great War seemed to be a period of transition for old ways dying and new beginnings here in Verona. In the years preceding and Just following the war, many of the institutions that we know today came to Verona. By 1926, every community in West Essex had essential public services: potable water, electric and telephone, police and fire departments, and good roads over which to drive.
After World War 1, Verona had achieved a measure of maturity and was settling into the anticipation of continued growth and optimism for the future.
................................ to be continued