In 1664 the first English settlers
came to this area from Graveness, Long Island. Atlantic Highlands was then
known as Portland Point,part of Middletown Township.In 1881 a Methodist Camp
Meeting Association purchased land for a summer retreat. Tent colonies lined
the shores of the Bay and religious meetings were held in the outdoor
In 1887 Atlantic Highlands was incorporated as a Borough. In the 1890's rail service came to Atlantic Highlands coupled with the Central Railroad of New Jersey Steam Boat service to New York City. Summer cottages, together with palatial Victorian homes were built to accommodate the visitors.
In 1940 a Municipal Harbor was constructed, today serving over 700 power boats and sailboats. The Atlantic Highlands business community, First Ave., is typical of the shops that lined the small towns in the 1890's.
Atlantic Highlands is a beautiful Victorian waterfront community, tucked away at the Bayshore referred to by many as the "Jewel of the Bayshore."
Learn more about the history of Atlantic Highlands by visiting the Strauss House, 27 Prospect Ave. or by contacting the Atlantic Highlands Historical Society at 291-1861 or 291-9454.