Warren Township, Somerset County, New Jersey, was formed March 5, 1806, from the previously existing Bernards Township, which had been formed in 1760 by Royal charter. In 1806 Warren included what are now the separate towns of Green Brook, North Plainfield, and Watchung. The present township contains almost 20 square miles.
In 1976 Barbara B. Tomblin wrote "Villages at the Crossroads," a township history. Her title was derived from the fact that until relatively recently, the various clusters of buildings, or villages, in various parts of the municipality were known by individual names. These were Mt. Horeb, Springdale, Mt. Bethel, Smalleytown, Union Village, South Stirling, and Warrenville. A limited number of Tomblin's book is available from the Warren Township Historical Society.
Some of the people active in the early history of Warren were Jacob Smalley, Thomas Terrill, David French, David Smalley, George Townley, William Titus, Joseph Tucker and other members of the Tucker family, Elam Genung, numerous Coddington family members, Charles Sage, Jonathan Ruckman, John Smalley, John G. Reinman, Edward Cooper, Alexander Kirkpatrick, Israel Ralph, John Kirch, George Friday, and John Manning, many members of the Mundy family, and also the Coon and Moore families.
There are four major cemeteries dating back to the early nineteenth century: Mt. Horeb Methodist, Mt. Bethel Baptist, Trinity United, and Springdale Methodist. In addition, there are two small family cemeteries now owned by the township--Coddington-Van Tuyl and Tucker.
Currently Warren Township has two organizations devoted to local history preservation:
The Warren Township Historical Society was founded in 1971, and membership is open to all interested persons. It meets about six times a year and publishes an award-winning newsletter twice a year. For Society publications write to Alan Siegel, 5 Wychwood Way, Warren, New Jersey 07059, (732) 469-2318. Siegel is the author of the most recent publication about Warren, "Images of America: Warren Township." Copies are available from the society. To join the Warren Township Historical Society, send $10 dues with your name and address to the Treasurer, 88 Round Top Road, Warren, New Jersey 07059.
The Warren Township Historic Sites Committee is appointed by the governing body to administer municipally-owned historic landmarks. Currently these include the Mt. Bethel Meeting House, which dates from the 1760's and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and the Kirch-Ford house, a typical nineteenth century farmstead donated by Bell Laboratories, as well as the two cemeteries already mentioned. The chairman of the Historic Sites Committee is Donna Shjarback, 19 Saddlemont Avenue, Warren, New Jersey 07059, (908) 757-2536.
In addition, many Warren residents belong to the Somerset County Historical Society, P. O. Box 632, Somerville, New Jersey 08876, (908) 218-1281 (Headquarters on Van Veghten Drive, Bridgewater, New Jersey, open Tuesdays noon until 3 and 7 till 9; also open certain Saturdays noon till 4; hours vary in winter--call ahead).